Research ScientistSystem Reliability Division - Gilchrist, Room 136
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
Texas A&M University System
College Station, TX 77843-3135
ph. (979) 845-1908 Ext. 51908 · fax (979) 845-9873
Short BiographyMr. Charara's specialty is in Software Engineering. He has an extensive experience in software design and development of real-time traffic applications, system integration, communications, and database management systems. Mr. Charara is an Associate Research Scientist with the TransLink Research Center. He is currently working on the development of a web-based GIS map to integrate components within the TransLink Laboratory and traffic devices installed at TransLink's test-beds.
Since joining TTI, Mr. Charara has worked on several projects in the areas of Traffic Sensor Technology, ITS, and Traffic Signals Operation. Projects he worked on include:
Installation and maintenance of TxDOT's ATMS system at TransLink Laboratory.
Detection-Control System for Rural Signalized Intersections.
Evaluation of Innovative Methods to Reduce Stops to Trucks.
Evaluation of the Existing Technologies for Vehicle Detection and Establishment of Communication Data Requirements.
Real-time, Multi-modal Traffic Adaptive Diamond Interchange Control (Smart Diamond)
Urban Highway Traffic Operations Project. (Ramp Metering)
Texas Reference Marker - Automated RI-1 Diagrams.
Mr. Charara holds a Bachelor of Arts in Management and Marketing from the Lebanese University in Beirut-Lebanon, a Master of Science in Computer Science from Texas A&M University-Commerce, and is currently pursuing his PhD in Computer Science at Texas A&M University-College Station. Mr. Charara is a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- M.S., Computer Science, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 1985.
- B.B.A., Business Administration, Lebanese University, Beiruit, Lebanon, 1982.
- Research Scientist, System Reliability Division, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, September 2004 - Present.
- Associate Research Scientist, TransLink® Research Center, Texas Transportation Institute, April 1999 - August 2004.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Texas Transportation Institute, April 1993 - March 1999.
- Graduate Assistant Research, Texas Transportation Institute, November 1990 - March 1993.
- Research Assistant, Scientific Visualization Laboratory, Texas A & M University, 1989 - 1990.
- Research Assistant, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas A & M University, 1986 - 1989.
- System Analyst, Skychefs, Inc., 1985 - 1986.
- Management Trainee, GESPA, Beiruit, Lebanon, 1983 - 1984.
- Member, Institute of Transportation Engineers, Texas Section (TexITE), Brazos Valley Chapter, 2001 - Present.
- Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM), 1988 - Present.
Honors & Awards
TTI/Trinity Research Technical Award, Texas Transportation Institute, 2010.
N.A. Chaudhary, S.R. Sunkari, H.A. Charara. NTCIP-Based Traffic Signal Evaluation and Optimization Toolbox. 0-6775-S. Texas A&M Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. 2014.
N.A. Chaudhary, H.A. Charara, S.R. Sunkari. Development of NTCIP-Based Portable Traffic Signal Evaluation System. 0-6775-1. Texas A&M Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. October 2014.
R. Rajbhandari, H.A. Charara, R.E. Brydia, C. Silvestri Dobrovolny. Connected Vehicle Test Bed at the Riverside Campus. 161406-1. Texas A&M Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. October 2014.
D.R. Middleton, H.A. Charara, L.E. Cornejo, S.S. Samant. Investigation of Detectors for Border Traffic Counts. 186054-00008. Center for International Intelligent Transportation Research, Texas A&M Transportation Institute. September 2014.
S.R. Sunkari, H.A. Charara, P. Songchitruksa. A Portable Toolbox to Monitor and Evaluate Signal Operations. 0-6177-1. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. October 2011.