Associate Research EngineerResearch & Implementation - Houston Region
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
Texas A&M University System
701 N. Post Oak, Suite 430
Houston, TX 77024
ph. (713) 613-9215 Ext. 15115 · fax (713) 686-5396
Short BiographyMr. Jonathan Tydlacka has over 11 years of experience in the areas of traffic signal operations, freeway operations, capacity analysis, traffic control devices, microsimulation modeling, and traffic safety. His main duties are focused on modeling, analyzing, and evaluating transportation operations and safety. In his work for several different research sponsors, he has analyzed and evaluated many unique traffic safety and operational issues using such tools as Synchro/SimTraffic, VISSIM, FREQ, HCS/HCM, and several safety performance prediction models. Over the past few years, Jonathan has gained extensive experience working with the FHWA and members of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (NCUTCD) as part of several investigations on the safety of experimental traffic control devices, including LED-outlined traffic signal backplates and two types of applications of active, lighted in-pavement markers (several lighted stop bars in Houston, Texas and lighted lane line markings along a triple-left turn at a diamond interchange in Sugar Land, Texas). He evaluated both safety and operational effects of these devices to determine their effects on safety and operations.
In performing work for the TxDOT Houston District, Jonathan has extensive experience in calculating road user costs due to construction activity by simulating both signal operations and freeway operations. He has also been involved with dozens of engineering studies involving arterial congestion, intersection safety, and freeway operations. Many of these projects have included an analysis and comparison of several design alternatives to determine the best design solution with respect to operations and safety.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Texas A & M University, 2004.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Texas A & M University, 2002.
- Associate Research Engineer, Research & Implementation - Houston Region, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, September 2015 - Present.
- Assistant Research Engineer, Research & Implementation - Houston Region, Texas Transportation Institute, September 2010 - August 2015.
- Associate Transportation Researcher, Research and Implementation - Houston, Texas Transportation Institute, February 2007 - August 2010.
- Assistant Transportation Researcher, Research and Implementation - Houston, Texas Transportation Institute, September 2004 - January 2007.
- Assistant Transportation Researcher, Research and Implementation - Houston, Texas Transportation Institute, August 2004 - September 2004.
- Graduate Assistant Research, TransLink® Research Center, Texas Transportation Institute, January 2003 - May 2004.
- Student Technician I, TransLink® Research Center, Texas Transportation Institute, September 2002 - January 2003.
- Student Worker IV, TransLink® Research Center, Texas Transportation Institute, June 2002 - August 2002.
Registered Professional Engineer in Texas, Registration No. 103801.
D.H. Bierling, C.J. Kruse, A.P. Voigt, M.J. Vickich, J.M. Tydlacka. Test and Evaluation of Bluetooth Technology for Measuring Freight Facility Traffic Flows: Bayport Case Study. TTI-2015-4. Texas A&M Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. March 2015.