Center DirectorCenter for Ports & Waterways
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
Texas A&M University System
701 N. Post Oak, Suite 430
Houston, TX 77024
ph. (713) 613-9210 Ext. 15110 · fax (713) 686-5396
Short BiographyMr. Kruse is the Director of the Center for Ports and Waterways at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI). He is responsible for identifying research and extension needs in the port community and mobilizing resources to meet those needs.
He served in a senior executive capacity for nine years at the Port of Brownsville (1988-1997), Texas (eight years as port director). Following his service at the Port of Brownsville, Mr. Kruse worked as a Regional Program Manager for Foster Wheeler Environmental's Ports Harbors & Waterways Program and assisted on port-related projects around the country.
Mr. Kruse has acquired a strong transportation planning background, having served on numerous local, state, and national boards and task forces. He was an active participant in the development of long range plans for a seaport and airport in South Texas, he has worked on statewide issues in Texas, he has participated in border transportation organizations, and he has assisted ports from Corpus Christi to New York with planning and environmental issues. Mr. Kruse is bilingual (Spanish/English) and has worked on a number of projects in the Latin American region.
- M.S., International Business and Human Resources, Houston Baptist University, Houston, Texas, 2000.
- M.B.A., Accounting and Finance, University of Kansas, 1977.
- B.A., Business Administration, Mid-America Nazarene University, 1975.
- Program Manager, Center for Ports & Waterways, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, Present.
- Center Director, Center for Ports & Waterways, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, September 2007 - Present.
- Research Scientist, Center for Ports & Waterways, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, September 2007 - Present.
- National Ports & Harbor Specialist, Multimodal Freight Transportation, Texas Transportation Institute, September 2002 - August 2007.
- Trainer, Kruse-Smith Consulting, Leawood, Kansas, 1999 - 2002.
- Regional Program Manager, Foster Wheeler Environmental Corporation, Houston, Texas, August 1997 - August 2002.
- General Manager & Port Director, Port of Brownsville, Brownsville Navigation District, Brownsville, Texas, October 1988 - August 1997.
- Manager, Consulting Division, Michael Jones & Co., P.C., Houston, Texas, September 1985 - October 1988.
- V.P., Finance, The Tarrance Group, Houston, Texas, September 1980 - September 1985.
- Senior Analyist, Arthur Anderson & Co., Mexico City, Mexico, July 1977 - September 1980.
- Member, Countering Terrorism. Panel on Transportation.
- Member, Transportation Research Board Committee on Ports and Channels.
- Member, Countering Terrorism. Panel on Transportation, Marine Environment Task Force.
- Member, American Association of Port Authorities, Harbors, Navigation and Environment Committee.
- Board Member, National Waterways Conference.
- Member, Cargo Handling Cooperative Program.
- Member, Inland Waterway Intermodal Cooperative Program.
- Member, Gulf Ports Association of the Americas.
- Member, Texas Ports Association.
K.F. Turnbull, M.N. Cearley, C.J. Kruse, N.D. Norboge. Impacts on Texas Ports from the Panama Canal Expansion. PSR. 0-6800-S. Texas A&M Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. January 2013.
C.J. Kruse, A.A. Protopapa. America's Locks & Dams: "A Ticking Time Bomb for Agriculture?". 406821-4. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. December 2011.
J. Mileski, R. Thrailkill, K. Haupt, J.J. Lane, W.T. McMullen, J. Gunn, C.J. Kruse, D.H. Bierling, L.E. Olson, J. Huang, P.-. Lorente. Protecting Waterways from Encroachment. 0-6225-S. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. 2010.
C.J. Kruse, D.H. Bierling. Direct Economic Effects of Lack of Maintenance Dredging of the Houston Ship Channel. Texas Transportation Institute, Houston, TX. December 2010.
J. Mileski, W.T. McMullen, R. Thrailkill, J. Gunn, K. Haupt, C.J. Kruse, J.J. Lane, D.H. Bierling. Recommendations and Guidelines on Shoreline Development and Hazards to Navigation. 0-6225-P1. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. December 2010.
J. Mileski, R. Thrailkill, K. Haupt, J.J. Lane, W.T. McMullen, J. Gunn, C.J. Kruse, D.H. Bierling, L.E. Olson, J. Huang, P.-. Lorente. Analysis and Recommendations on Protecting Waterways from Encroachment. 0-6225-1. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. August 2010.