Roger E. Smith, Ph.D., P.E.
Research EngineerPavement Management - CE/TTI, Room 301E
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
The Texas A&M University System
College Station, TX 77843-3135
ph. (979) 845-0875 Ext. 50875 · fax (979) 845-0278
Short BiographyDr. Roger E. Smith has been the Manager of the Pavement Maintenance and Reconstruction Program of the Materials and Construction Division within TTI since 1986. He is also an Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at Texas A&M University. He has extensive research and practical experience in pavement construction, transportation materials, pavement maintenance, pavement performance and pavement management.
Dr. Smith has served as principle and co-principle investigator on more than 15 major research projects. He has experience in developing and implementing pavement management systems for airfields, local agencies and state agencies. He has practical experience in construction of paved and unpaved roads, operating a hot mix asphalt plant, quarry operations and investigations, materials lab testing and aggregate testing. He has personally been responsible for both quality control and quality assurance in pavement construction. Sponsors of the research projects include the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP), and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission of San Francisco (MTC). He has prepared more than 40 papers and publications and has been invited to present results of his work at local, state, national, and international levels as well as for private organizations and technical associations. His areas of research include use of waste material as an aggregate, D-cracking in concrete pavements, joints in concrete pavements, pavement construction, pavement evaluation, pavement design, pavement overlay design, pavement material characterization, pavement management, pavement maintenance, pavement maintenance treatments, and pavement rehabilitation. He has been involved with the development of pavement design programs, overlay design programs, pavement management programs at both project and network level, and methods to evaluate the effectiveness of pavement maintenance activities. He regularly teaches courses in infrastructure engineering and management, pavement design, bituminous materials, asphalt production and pavement construction.
Dr. Smith is active in the Transportation Research Board where he is currently chairman of TRB committee A3C05, Pavement Maintenance, a member of committee A2B01, Pavement Management, and a member of A2B06, Pavement Evaluation and Monitoring. He is former member of A2B02, Rigid Pavements, and A2B05, Strength and Deformation of Pavement Sections. He is active in ASTM committee E-17, Pavement Management Technologies. He is also active in the ASCE committees on Pavements and Local Roads.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1986.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1979.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1978.
- B.A., English Literature, Wabash College, 1967.
- Research Engineer, Pavement Management, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, September 2001 - Present.
- Program Manager, Pavement Management, Texas A&M Transportation Institute, October 1997 - Present.
- Technical Director, ERES Consultants, Inc., 1980 - January 1986.
- Geotechnical and Materials Engineer, Hurst-Rosche Engineers, Inc., 1979 - January 1980.
- Researcher, University of Illinois, 1976 - January 1979.
- Officer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1968 - January 1975.
Registered Professional Engineer in Texas, Registration No. 62182, 1987.
Registered Professional Engineer in Illinois, Registration No. 062-040854, 1983.
- Chairman, Transportation Research Board (TRB), Committee on Pavement Maintenance.
- Member, American Society for Testing and Materials, Committee D-4.
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
- Member, American Public Works Association.
- Member, Chi Epsilon - The National Civil Engineering Honor Society.
- Member, Society of American Military Engineers.
- Co-Chairman, Transportation Research Board (TRB), Sub-Committee on Pavement Monitoring, Evaluation and Data Storage.
- Member, Transportation Research Board (TRB), Committee on Strehgth and Deformation Characteristics of Pavement Sections.
- Chairman, American Society for Testing and Materials, Sub-Committee on Pavement Management Technologies.
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Steering Committee for Low Volume Roads and Streets Workshop.
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Committee on Pavements.
- Member, Transportation Research Board (TRB), Steering Committee for Developing Third International Conference on Pavement Management.
Honors & Awards
Graduate Fellowship, University of Illinois, 1979.