Driver Workload at Higher Speeds (0-5911-1)
K. Fitzpatrick, S.T. Chrysler, E. Park, A.A. Nelson, J.A. Robertson, V. Iragavarapu
- The Closed-Course Pilot Study consisted of observing and recording the activities and actions of a series of drivers following a lead vehicle going either 60 or 85 mph.
- The Open-Road Pilot Study recorded participants driving between Odessa and Pecos, Texas, within 70- and 80-mph sections.
- The Simulator Pilot Study determined driver reactions to a looming vehicle (both passenger car and large truck) and also generated directions for how to conduct the Phase II simulator study.
- The Simulator Phase II Study collected brake reaction to a vehicle looming in the driver's view for 50 participants. Conditions varied included initial speed, lead vehicle type, lead vehicle deceleration rate, and workload level.
- The Following Distance Study used data from traffic counters to identify speed and axle gap data on freeways with 60-, 70-, and 80-mph posted speed limits.
- The Gaps at Passing Study measured gaps during passing maneuvers for daylight conditions on freeway sections.
Freeway, Driver Workload, High Speed, Passing Gap, Following Distance, Reaction Time
TTI reports and products are available for download at no charge. If an electronic version is not available and no instructions on how to obtain it are given, contact Publication Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.