Approved: January 8, 2018
Revised: October 9, 2023
Next Scheduled Review: October 9, 2028
This rule provides guidelines by which Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) staff may be granted the designation of “Emeritus” (emeritus) by the Board of Regents (board) of The Texas A&M University System (A&M System) as described in A&M System Policy 31.08, Emeritus.
Reason for Rule
This rule implements A&M System Regulation 31.08.01, Granting of Emeritus Status to Faculty and Staff, which provides guidelines by which TTI staff may be granted the designation of emeritus. The rule specifies the titles, eligibility, selection procedures, privileges, and responsibilities with the emeritus designation.
Procedures and Responsibilities
TTI titles that are eligible for emeritus nominations include: Agency Director, Executive Associate Agency Director, Chief Financial Officer, staff members at TTI who have been selected as Regents Fellow Service Award recipients, and other senior professional staff, if recommended by the Agency Director.
2. Eligibility Criteria
The emeritus title is conferred at retirement upon individuals who have made significant contributions to TTI through long and distinguished service, holding the titles designated for consideration. Generally, more than 10 years of employment with TTI would be considered long service; however, exceptions can be made in the length of service if recommended by the Agency Director.
3. Procedures for Nomination
Nominations will include a letter of recommendation from the Agency Director, along with a summary of significant contributions to the agency and a biographical sketch of the individual nominated. The Agency Director will submit nominations through appropriate A&M System administrators to the Board of Regents for approval. Also, the individual must have conducted himself/herself in a manner consistent with the code of ethical conduct found in System Policy 07.01, Ethics, throughout the individual’s employment.
4. Privileges and Responsibilities
An individual granted emeritus status, in addition to the benefits and privileges of all retired faculty and staff members, will be:
- listed in the agency directory
- invited to agency functions in the area of the individual’s interest
- invited to attend agency meetings at the discretion of the agency director
Individuals granted emeritus status will not:
- be granted the use of services and facilities, including email and network access by Information Technology Services
- have parking privileges
- be issued equipment such as laptops
Related Statutes, Policies, or Requirements
- A&M System Policy 31.08 Emeritus
- A&M System Regulation 31.08.01, Granting of Emeritus Status to Faculty and Staff
- A&M System Policy 31.07, Retirement
- A&M System Regulation 31.07.01, Retirement and Employment After Retirement
- A&M Policy 07.01, Ethics