TTI is home to several national centers, some of which TTI is leading and others in which TTI is a primary partner.
- Center for Advancing Research in Transportation Emissions, Energy and Health (CARTEEH) – Lead
Established in 2016, CARTEEH is a Tier 1 University Transportation Center (UTC) located at TTI that focuses on the impact of transportation emissions on human health.
- Center for Railway Research – Lead
Established in 2011, the center, located at TTI, includes a research laboratory sponsored by the Association of American Railroads and focuses on engineering problems confronting the railroad industry.
- Maritime Transportation Research and Education Center (MarTREC) – Partner
Previously funded and renewed in 2016, MarTREC is a USDOT Tier 1 University Transportation Center (UTC) located at the University of Arkansas. The center focuses on preserving the existing U.S. transportation system by conducting a multidisciplinary program of maritime and multimodal transportation research, education, and technology transfer.
- Safety Through Disruption (Safe-D) – Partner
Established in 2016, Safe-D is a USDOT National University Transportation Center (UTC) located at Virginia Tech Transportation Institute. The center endeavors to maximize the potential safety benefits of disruptive technologies through targeted research that addresses the most pressing transportation safety questions.
- Center for Transportation Computational Mechanics – Lead
The center, located at TTI, was designated by the Federal Highway Administration in 1998 to develop and use computer simulation in testing and analyses.
TTI is home to several centers created by the state of Texas or at the Institute level.
- Center for Alcohol and Drug Education Studies – Lead
The center was initially created at Texas A&M University and moved to TTI in 2012 as part of the Center for Transportation Safety.
- Center for International Intelligent Transportation Research (CIITR) – Lead
Established at TTI by the Texas Legislature in 2006, the center helps enhance the efficient, safe and secure movement of people and goods across U.S. borders.
- Center for Ports & Waterways – Lead
The center was established at TTI by the Texas Legislature in 1995 to produce benefits-oriented research for the water transportation industry.
- Center for Transportation Safety – Lead
Established by the Texas Legislature in 2001, the TTI center conducts traffic safety research, education and outreach.