Participate in transportation research sponsored by the Safe-D, CARTEEH, and NICR University Transportation Centers at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) — the largest university-based transportation research institute in the country.
2022 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship Program
Dates: May 31–August 5, 2022
Location: College Station, Texas | Texas A&M University Campus
Each student will be paired with a research mentor and will work on an ongoing research project under one of TTI’s three University Transportation Centers.
- Connected Vehicles
- Automated Vehicles
- Big Data Analytics
- Transportation as a Service
- Big Data
- Innovative Mobility
- Freeway Congestion Management
- Transportation emissions and/or air quality modeling
- Assessment of exposures and health impacts
- Policy and decision making
- Land-use and urban planning
Benefits of this Research Experience
- Learn more about careers in transportation research
- Explore whether graduate school is right for you
- Meet students from across the country with similar interests
- Learn new skills in conducting and presenting research
Funding and Relocation
Interns will be paid up to $6000 in wages for the ten-week period.
Interns may choose to live in Bryan/College Station for the summer or to complete their internship remotely. Interns who choose to live in Bryan/College Station for the summer will be provided with housing or an equivalent housing allowance (estimated at $1500 for ten weeks) and a $1700 food allowance. (Note: wages and food/housing allowances are taxable income.)
Due to COVID-19, the 2020 internships were conducted remotely; 2021 interns chose remote or in-person options. If 2022 internships must be remote for all interns due to COVID-19, it will be announced by April 2022.
Any academic major is welcome, including:
- Civil or other Engineering
- Urban Planning
- Public or Community Health
- Social Sciences
- Statistics or Data Analytics
- Must have a desire to actively participate in research and an interest in the applicable UTC’s core focus area:
- CARTEEH: transportation, air quality, and health
- SAFE-D: transportation safety
- NICR: congestion reduction
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must have completed junior year (at least 90 hours) by the end of Spring Semester 2022.
- Must be on track to graduate no sooner than December 2022.
Participant Requirements and Expectations
- Students selected for the research internship are restricted from enrolling in university courses during the entire 9-week summer period.
- Attendance at internship-related events, including the final poster session (or virtual presentation session, as applicable), is mandatory.
- Students are expected to commit to at least 40 hours/week, which includes:
- Working research hours as determined by the student’s research mentor
- Mandatory internship activity
Program Completion Requirements
- Research plan
- Progress report
- Final paper
- Poster presentation
Application Packet Requirements
- Completed internship application
(To be certain this editable PDF performs properly, download the application to your computer before opening and filling it out.)
- Personal essay (maximum 500 words) answering the following question:
- If applying to CARTEEH: Why is it important to address transportation emissions/air pollution in the context of public health?
- If applying to SAFE-D: How can your field of study contribute to improvements in traffic safety?
- If applying to NICR: Why is reducing traffic congestion important for this country?
- A current transcript (can be a downloaded version)
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member at your college/university
- January 31, 2022, by 5:00 p.m. (CT)
- Complete application packets must be received by the deadline. Application materials received after this deadline will not be considered.
Completed applications and any questions regarding this program should be directed to:Laura Higgins, Associate Research Scientist
CARTEEH/SAFE-D/NICR Internship Coordinator
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
College Station, TX 77843-3135
ph. (979) 317-2544