May marks the start of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month when drivers of all other vehicles and all road users are reminded to safely “share the road” with motorcyclists, and to be extra alert to help keep motorcyclists safe.
Consider these facts:
- In 2012, motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic-related deaths in Texas.
- 460 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes.
- A vehicle was involved in 50% of these fatal motorcycle crashes.
- In over two-thirds of fatal vehicle-motorcycle crashes, the vehicle struck the front of the motorcycle while turning left, usually at an intersection.
- The driver either did not see the motorcyclist or didn’t see the motorcyclist in time to avoid a crash.
Read the rest of this story at LookLearnLive.org.