- Continuous LCDs in the vicinity of exit ramps on high-speed, limited-access facilities.
- Continuous LCDs in the merging taper of a lane closure on low-speed roadways.
- Single LCDs (similar to Type 3 barricades) in the merging taper of a lane closure on high-speed roadways.
- Continuous LCDs in the vicinity of driveways on low-speed urban roadways. Based on the research findings, researchers recommended the use of continuous LCDs in the immediate vicinity of an exit ramp within a lane closure under the following conditions:
- When a high number of deliberate intrusions into the work zone are expected or occur while using standard channelizing devices.
- In situations where the exit ramp opening (in feet) is less than or equal to two times the posted speed limit (in mph), workers and equipment are in the work area near the exit ramp opening, and there are concerns that drivers may unintentionally enter the work area trying to access the exit ramp.
TTI reports and products are available for download at no charge. If an electronic version is not available and no instructions on how to obtain it are given, contact the TTI Library.