Approved: April 27, 2016 (Effective August 1, 2016)
Revised: March 24, 2021
Next Scheduled Review: March 24, 2026
In accordance with The Texas A&M University System (System) Regulation 34.06.02, Weapons, tthe Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) will comply with all applicable federal and state laws, regulations and policies, relating to carrying handguns on TTI property and TTI vehicles.
This rule applies only to TTI property NOT located on System and Texas A&M University (University) property (see definition of “property” below).
For TTI property located on System or University property, TTI employees will follow the respective System Regulation or University rule.
Reason for Rule
System Regulation 34.06.02 requires a TTI rule to ensure the safety of TTI employees and visitors while complying with all federal and state laws, regulations and policies pertaining to carrying handguns on agency property.
Procedures and Responsibilities
1. The TTI Agency Director established this rule after consulting with TTI employees about specific safety considerations and the uniqueness of the agency environment. This rule was reviewed by the System Board of Regents as required by law.
2. A handgun license holder under Chapter 411, Texas Government Code, may carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder’s person while the license holder is on TTI property or in a TTI vehicle,
3. TTI enforces the state law regulating firearms on TTI property. This enforcement occurs in two ways. unless prohibited by state or federal law, or this rule. The open carrying of a handgun on TTI property is prohibited. Licensed peace officers are authorized by law to carry firearms at all times.
3.1 First police or other applicable law enforcement agencies will investigate and take appropriate action, including referral for criminal prosecution when violations occur.
3.2 Second, TTI will consider any violation of state law regulating firearms to be a violation of TTI rules. Accordingly, such a violation is subject to disciplinary action under rules applicable to TTI employees.
4. Rules Applicable to Carrying a Concealed Handgun on TTI Property
4.1 State Law Prohibitions
A license holder is responsible for complying with the applicable state law prohibitions. See Appendix.
4.2 Federal Law Prohibitions
A license holder is responsible for complying with the applicable federal law prohibitions.
4.3 Other Prohibited Agency Premises
A license holder is also prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun in the following agency premises.
4.3.1 Any premises where the agency, as directed or approved by the Agency Director as necessary for safety, gives effective notice on a temporary basis pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code. For this rule, the term “owner of the property” in Section 30.06(b), Penal Code, means the Agency Director. No agency employee is “someone with apparent authority to act for the owner” for purposes of Section 30.06(b), Penal Code. All notices under Section 30.06, Penal Code, will be agency notice, conform to Sections 46.03 and 46.035, Penal Code, and apply equally to all handgun license holders; and
4.3.2 At all premises where concealed carry is prohibited, TTI must give effective notice under Section 30.06, Penal Code.
Related Statutes, Policies, or Requirements
- Property – All land and buildings owned or leased by TTI.
- Premises – Means a building or portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
TTI Facilities, Safety and Support Services